Another simple mystery plot. This one I’ve got mentally labeled The Lead.
- A crime occurs.
- The solver follows leads as though they were a labyrinth.
- Some of the leads are dead ends.
- Some of the leads are live ends.
- One of the leads that looks like a dead end is a live end.
- The solver keeps an eye on the dead-alive end, while appearing to follow the other leads exclusively.
- The solver pounces on the criminal out of the blue.
- Climactic struggle, wrapup, the end.
I’m working on this plot right now for an upcoming series. More on that later. Variations on this one show up a lot in detective-type novels.