Okay, I was doing my morning pages this morning and realized that I am a research writer: not a writer that does research or writes up research, but a test-to-fail writer. A crash-test-dummy writer. I quit writing a short story a week so I could focus on novels, but now I feel deprived. Wherrrrre are my short stories? Obviously I need another project for writing short stories, one that isn’t quite as heavy (so I can still focus on novels), but where I can play with new ideas more often. Here’s what I’m noodling around:
- Pick my top markets that I want to break into (aside from Apex, because I’m still getting a lot from slushing).
- Make sure I always have a short story in those markets.
However, because Clarkesworld and Lightspeed are on my list (and that would be 2+ stories they could go through each month), I’m going to have to say that if I submit something to each of them per month, I’m good.
Here’s my list (very, very personally chosen; shooting for somewhere between 10 and 15 markets):
- Asimov’s (sf, 39 day avg. return, up to 25K, but 7500 or less seems preferred)
- Beneath Ceaseless Skies (fantasy, 31 days avg. return, secondary-world setting, under 10K)
- Black Static (horror, 50 days avg return, up to 10K)
- Clarkesworld (fantasy/sf/horror, 4 days avg return plus 1 week waiting before next sub, preferred length 4K)
- Daily Science Fiction (fantasy/sf, 18 days avg return, up to 10K but 1K or less preferred)
- Fantasy and Science Fiction (fantasy/sf, 13 day avg. return, up to 25K)
- Interzone (fantasy/sf, 54 days avg return, up to 10K)
- Lightspeed (fantasy/sf, 2 day avg return plus 1 week waiting, 5K or less preferred)
- Nightmare (horror, 1 day avg return plus 1 week waiting, 5K or less preferred)
- Weird Tales (weird tales, 100 days avg return, up to 5K)
For example, right now I have stories at:
- Black Static
And a lot of the stories that work for one market will work for others.
But now I get to go, “Asimov’s. I need to write a 3-6K story, SF.” I like constraints like that. Not too lose; not too tight. I’m going to shoot for about a short story every other week, until I get caught up.