The main character has a dilemma. It’s a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation–but there’s damnation, and then there’s damnation.
- The character has a problem, or is called in to deal with a problem.
- The character has to choose between a couple of craptastic options.
- They try to avoid choosing.
- But eventually, they have to choose.
- In the end, the choice comes from an instinct that shows the true character of the chooser.
This is stuff like The Exorcist, The Babysitter, anything having to do with John Constantine, a lot of Devil’s Bargain stuff (although not really demonic possession stuff). Sometimes you’ll get devil’s advocates for one or both sides.